Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Girls just want to have fun

I have seen a few blog posts by moms about having all children of the same sex and being the mommy if three beautiful little girls I thought I would chime in.

We have not found out the sex of my children before they were born. I feel there are not many things in life that are a surprise so why ruin it. And this is coming from a girl who once carefully unwrapped and wrapped back up her Christmas presents because she couldn't take the suspense. Plus it gives me something to think about during labor other than the pain. We only had a girls name picked out for our oldest daughter because I really wanted to name her after my great grandma Grace. I was pretty excited when she was born and I heard my friend Mandie say 'yes' because she was right that she had guessed she was a girl. With our second daughter we only had a boys name picked out. I was so huge when I had her I was sure she was a big baby boy like her daddy (he was 11 lbs. when he was born.) I was surprised to hear she was an almost 10 lbs girl and we had to go back to the drawing board for a name. I was kind of excited though because I only have a brother and always thought it would be fun to have a sister, so now my girls had each other for that. When we decided to have our third child I am sure my husband hoped everyday for a boy in this crazy house of estrogen. I wanted him to have that little boy to follow him around and hopefully someday take over the farm, but in the back of mind I thought another girl would be nice. We already had all the clothes and I was used to the giggles and girls in the house, what was I going to do with a boy? In the excitement she gave us when she was born by surprise in the bathroom of the hospital room that I was more worried about how the nurse caught her before she splashed into the world in the toilet then if she was a boy or a girl. It was probably really the next morning (as I was pretty tired from the sleeping pill I had taken to get some rest before my epidural) before I truly realized we had another girl. Even after my extreme bout with post partum depression, I would not trade her for anything as just like all my girls she can make me smile when times are hard.

Do I wonder about having a boy to follow my husband around the farm and learn all about dairy farming, of course... My grandma had three girls and then my dad and I tend to share other things about me with her and that really makes me wonder if we should try just one more time. I already have the perfect name picked out and I always wanted to have a big family. But do I wonder about having another baby and going through postpartum depression again, absolutely... Should I let that fear stop me? I am still not sure, so stay tuned.

The 'tail' end - comment below with what you like about your family dynamic - all girls - all boys - a mix of both.



No comments:

Post a Comment